Havercroft and Ryhill Sports and Youth Centre, Ryhill
The Hut, Airedale
- The Hut is a modern and vibrant Community Leisure Centre located in Castleford West Yorkshire, offering a great range of facilities and activities for all ages.
- The Centre provides a vital meeting point for the local community, whether you are looking for a regular exercise class, sports facility, ten pin bowling, meeting space or just a place to meet friends for coffee. Follow them on Facebook for updates;
Youthy at The Addy
- Every Thursday evening 6-8pm for 11-19 year olds. Open access and free of charge
- See here for further information
Next Generation Wakefield
At Next Generation we organise all kinds of activities for children and young people (aged 8 to 19). During the week we have several groups at Lightwaves. We use the leisure and sport facilities, and our YouthZone with computers, internet access, Xbox1, Nintendo WII, games, arts & crafts, pool and fussbal table and kitchen. On the Stanley Royd playing fields we do outdoor sport & play activities. We go out on trips, walks, visits and workshops to get some new experiences and to have fun. Please check the website for up to date information.
Keep Doing Good Project
- The ‘Keep Doing Good’ programme is also running in the holidays and encourages 15-17 year olds to gain volunteering experience, learn new skills, and make a positive impact on the community. This year they will work in teams to understand community issues and plan a social action project – and even get the chance to pitch for possible funding and resources. An exciting and unique opportunity to potentially make a huge impact by only offering a snippet of their holidays! It runs over two weeks (w/c 10th & 17th August) and there’s more information in the flyer attached.
Wakefield Youth service
- Wakefield Youth service offer a range of support, activities and groups for Children and Young People age 10 to 25 years. Young carers, Stripes group, SEND group, National citizens Service, Duke of Edinburgh Award, Detached Youth work and the Youth council are some of the things you can get involved in. Please check on the website for further information http://wfyouth.co.uk/
- The special summer ‘bumper’ edition of the family activity newsletter has just been released. In this one families can take part in a virtual sports day, navigate the stars, start checking off our summer bucket list, and explore some sizzling BBQ recipes – with options for a sweet and savoury tooth! Plus lots more for them to discover inside too. You can access and download the latest summer newsletter here
These can be found @WFLibraries on Twitter or on Wakefield Libraries Facebook page
- Aimed at young people 11+. Provides information about where to get help with links to resources for young people during this difficult time. Click here.
Wakefield Castles and Museums
- Wakefield Museums & Castles Blog with activities for families and schools support can be found at:
Weekly challenges are posted each week on their social media accounts, get involved by sharing your creations online.
- Monday #WFMuseumsArtFun
- Tuesday #PonteCastleBeCreative
- Wednesday #WFMuseumsBeCreative
Find more information by following;
- Facebook - @WakefieldMuseum @PontefractMuseum @CastlefordMuseumOfficial @Pontefractcastle @sandalcastle
- Twitter - @WFMuseums @PonteCastle
- Instagram - @wakefieldmuseums
- Did you know Wakefield has many cycling routes, click here for more information.
- The Hepworth will reopen Saturday 1st of August, Wednesday to Sunday. Check here to find out what’s on
The Great Outdoors
- Why not take a walk or cycle round some of the districts many parks including Pugneys Country Park, Newmillardam or why not try the Room on the Broom Adventure Trail at Anglers Country Park.
Click here for a list of the districts parks and countryside:
Hemsworth Waterpark and Play world
- With its two lakes, pedalo rides, sandy beaches, adventure playground and waterpark it is a great place for children of all ages.
Find out more information here: https://www.hemsworthcouncil.co.uk/hemsworth-waterpark-playworld/
Days out with the Kids
- Discover the best things to do with the Kids in Wakefield
- Click here to find out more
National Coal Mining Museum
- Reopening Wednesday 5th of August to pre-booked visitors. Take a look at the Virtual Museum for activities and videos here.
St Luke's Youth Centre
St Luke’s Youth Centre is a great place for young people to go and meet together for some fun and friendship. Safe and well managed the Youth Centre provides all sorts of different activities for young people from many different backgrounds..
Catering for children from the age of 8yrs upward the centre provides all kinds of different activities, whether a young person wants to play pool or football, whether they want to watch films or listen to music, or get a drink from the tuck shop and play some computer games, St Luke’s Youth Centre is the place to be on a Tuesday and Friday
My Local Offer, Wakefield
- Providing support and information for families with children and young people aged 0-25 with special educational needs and/or a disability. Find out about activities and groups you can join in with here.
- Click here for the newsletter
- The Hepworth will reopen Saturday 1st of August, Wednesday to Sunday.
- Check here to find out what’s on
- Click here for crafts and activities you can do at home with the family
- Sun Lane Leisure and Featherstone Sports Complex will re-open with gym and classes only to Pay and Play customers on 8 August. However, members will have exclusive access from 25 July at Sun Lane and Featherstone.
- Minsthorpe Leisure and Normanton Leisure will re-open to Pay and Play customers on 25 August but members will have exclusive access from 11 August.
- Swimming will restart four weeks after opening.
- Further details on opening can be found online at https://www.wakefield.gov.uk/sport-health-and-leisure
- Libraries in Wakefield, Horbury, Hemsworth and Normanton, Pontefract and Airedale, Sandal, South Elmsall, Featherstone, Stanley and Castleford are now open. By early August the mobile library service and Ossett Library are expected to be back in service.
- Pontefract Castle site, including the children’s playground, visitor centre and café are now reopen, with the gift shop opening in August. Pontefract Museum and Wakefield Museum are also reopen with Castleford opening from the 3rd August
- Further details are available on our website:
- Libraries: http://www.wakefield.gov.uk/libraries-and-local-history/your-local-library
- Museum: http://www.wakefield.gov.uk/events-and-culture/museums